Welch Village is committed to take an active role in reducing the spread of COVID-19 by creating a safe environment for all of our staff and guests. We have adopted the following protocols based upon the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO) as well as the State of MN and local requirements and/or recommendations.
Since the start of the pandemic, Welch Village has been working closely with MN Ski Areas Association (MSAA) and National Ski Areas Association (NSAA) to create a COVID-19 Operations Guide which will be available upon request. Below is a summary of what our guests can expect to experience this winter at Welch Village and other ski areas in our region.
We are all in this together and if we work together...we are expecting a safe & awesome 2020-2021 ski and snowboard season!
Latest News (updated Sept. 8th, 2020)
Mask & Face Covering Mandate in the State of MN
The State of MN is currently under an Executive Order requiring face masks and face coverings to be worn in all public buildings and businesses. The executive order issued by MN Governor Tim Walz will apply to any guest who enters a chalet or building at Welch Village. All guests and Welch Village employees will be required to wear a mask or face covering inside our buildings. This will apply to all Welch Village buildings at all times including chalets, bars, food court areas, rental shop, ski shop, ski school etc. Welch Village also highly recommends wearing a mask or face covering whenever 6 ft. of social distancing is a challenge. Read MN Executive Order 20-81 here
Reduced seating and policy for chalet use
Per MN Executive Order 20-74, space capacity is reduced by 50% under state law. Read below for some more details on how this will impact your visit to Welch Village this season. Read MN Executive Order 20-74 here
Due to indoor capacity restrictions, only guests wearing a lift ticket for the day will be allowed to enter chalet buildings. On peak visit days like some weekends and holidays, it's likely that chalet space will not be available for all guests. We will need to work together, take turns, and share the limited seating space that will be available.
Welch Village Policies and Protocols for the 2020-2021 season
What you can expect OUTSIDE:
- Good News! For the most part, COVID-19 shouldn't impact how you enjoy the slopes of Welch Village like you normally do. You should be able to go skiing and snowboarding (for the most part) like you normally do! As long as you are healthy and feel healthy, go ski & ride!
- Face coverings will be required while riding a chairlift or while waiting in a line to ride a chairlift. Please also wear a face covering in any setting outdoors where it's challenging to maintain 6 ft. of social distancing.
- Current NSAA & MSAA guidance encourages only parties that arrived at the ski area together to ride a lift together. Protocols are being established to provide adequate separation between unrelated parties including leaving at least one vacant space on the chair (For example, leaving empty spaces on a quad chair) while unrelated parties wear a face covering on the lift.
- Welch Village is working on adding more outdoor amenities like additional fire pits, patio heaters, and outdoor portable restrooms.
What you can expect INSIDE:
- Face coverings must be worn at all times inside a Welch Village building except while eating & drinking. 6 ft. of social distancing must be maintained at all times.
- Seating capacity will be significantly impacted this season. We will all need to work together on this one.
- There will be a time limit for all table use in the main chalet. Only guests wearing a lift ticket for that day will be allowed to enter a chalet building.
- Guests will not be allowed to leave any personal items like bags, coolers etc. in the chalet. All personal items will need to be taken to your vehicle while skiing & riding. Rearranging and moving tables will not be allowed.
- Seating capacity will be reduced at Madd Jaxx. All tables will be available by reservation only, first-come first-serve. More details coming soon. Bar seating will not be available.
- Welch Village staff will regularly clean and sanitize all high touch surfaces. There will be hand sanitizer available in various locations in all buildings.
Lift Tickets, Rentals, Lessons
- Daily Lift Tickets, Ski & Snowboard Rentals, and Lessons will not be available for purchase on-site. All tickets, rentals, and lessons will only be available for purchase online only. A limited number of daily lift tickets will be available each day. All online tickets will need to be purchased no later than midnight the day before your visit. There will be no capacity restrictions for season pass holders or Labor Day Sale ticket vouchers.
- All lift tickets and rental packages purchased online this season can be used on any day Welch Village is open during the 2020-2021 season OR during the 2021-2022 season. If you can't use your tickets or rentals this season because of health reasons or because of a capacity issue at the ski area, you can use your tickets or rentals any day this season or next season.
- All indoor ticket windows will be closed, except for servicing certain products (TBD). We have installed brand new outdoor ticket windows on the slope side patio of the main chalet. There will also be an outdoor ticket window at Mad Jaxx. To redeem your online ticket voucher, bring your paper ticket voucher or screen shot of your ticket voucher on your phone to our ticket windows, and our staff will issue your lift ticket.
- Registration for all ski and snowboard lesson programs, including D-Team junior race programs, will be available around October 1st.
- Rentals and lessons will have limited quantities available.
Again, some GOOD NEWS! COVID-19 will enable us to use a more efficient system for season pass holders that should create more efficiency and safe pass holders time receiving their season pass cards and getting their lift ticket each visit. Season pass holders CLICK HERE for more information! We will be mailing all season passes this year, and there are some important deadlines in the hyperlink to achieve this.
There will be no reservations required or capacity limits for season pass holders on any day during the 2020-2021 season.
Food & Beverage
- Limited offerings and more "take-out" style food and beverage options this season. - New outdoor food and drink windows at Mad Jaxx! Stay tuned for more information. - Reserved indoor seating, first come-first serve, at Mad Jaxx for those guests who are ordering food & drink only. Stay tuned for more information.
- Unless there is a breathing concern, Ski Patrol will require that guests needed patrol care wear a mask or face covering. - We are adding an additional portable building to allow for increased social distancing for patrol operations.
Ski Shop & Tuning Center
- More information TBD
We are looking forward to the 2020-2021 season! Thank you for your patience and understanding while our team is working how to make this season safe and memorable for all. This situation is changing daily. Stay informed by watching our website regularly as well as our social media channels for the latest changes to our guidelines and protocols.