Welch Village is committed to take an active role in reducing the spread of COVID-19 by creating a safe environment for all of our staff and guests. We have adopted the following protocols based upon the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO) as well as the State of MN and local requirements and/or recommendations.
Since the start of the pandemic, Welch Village has been working closely with MN Ski Areas Association (MSAA) and National Ski Areas Association (NSAA) to create a COVID-19 Operations Guide which will be available upon request. Below is a summary of what our guests can expect to experience this winter at Welch Village and other ski areas in our region.
We are all in this together and if we work together...we are expecting a safe & awesome 2020-2021 ski and snowboard season!
Ski Well, Be Well
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, we request that you postpone your visit to a later date: Fever, loss of smell or taste, muscle aches, sore throat, cough, shortness of breath, chills, headache, or nausea. Similarly, our team members are required to perform a wellness screening prior to working and will be prohibited from work if experiencing any of the aforementioned symptoms. We also ask that if you have had close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or you are positive for COVID-19 that you do not visit our facility until your quarantine is complete in accordance with guidelines recommended by the CDC. When to Quarantine - Click Here
Mask & Face Covering Mandate in the State of MN
The State of MN is currently under an Executive Order requiring face masks and face coverings to be worn in all public buildings and businesses. All guests and Welch Village employees will be required to wear a mask or face covering inside our buildings. In addition to a mask or face covering being required inside our buildings, there will also be requirements to wear a face covering when in lift lines and when riding the chair lift. Please see below for more information.
Per MN Executive Order 20-99, our chalet will be closed. Our chalet will not have any public seating or spaces for people to gather. Our chalets will only be open for restrooms use and take out food service. Read below for some more details on how this will impact your visit to Welch Village this season. Read MN Executive Order 20-99 here
With these new restrictions, guests will be required to treat the vehicle they arrive in as their chalet.
Welch Village Policies and Protocols for the 2020-2021 season
What you can expect OUTSIDE:
- Good News! For the most part, COVID-19 shouldn't impact how you enjoy the slopes of Welch Village like you normally do. You should be able to go skiing and snowboarding (for the most part) like you normally do! As long as you are healthy and feel healthy, go ski & ride!
- Face coverings will be required while riding a chairlift or while waiting in a line to ride a chairlift. Please also wear a face covering in any setting outdoors where it's challenging to maintain 6 ft. of social distancing.
- Current Minnesota Guidance requires only those from the same household to ride a chairlift together. Our staff will not be requiring any of our guests to ride the chairlift with anyone that is not from their household.
- Welch Village is working on adding more outdoor amenities like additional fire pits, patio heaters, and outdoor portable restrooms.
What you can expect INSIDE:
- Face coverings must be worn at all times inside Welch Village buildings. 6 ft. of social distancing must be maintained at all times.
- Please plan to treat your vehicle as your chalet this season. Under current Minnesota executive orders, our chalets will only be open for restroom use and for take out food service. Our chalets will not have any public seating or public gathering space. Due to these restrictions, all guests will be required to boot up at their vehicle.
- Guests will not be allowed to leave any personal items like bags, coolers etc. in the chalet. All personal items will need to be kept in your vehicle while skiing & riding.
- Welch Village staff will regularly clean and sanitize all high touch surfaces. There will be hand sanitizer available in various locations in all buildings.
- Unless you are ordering food or using the restroom, all guests will be required to exit the chalet under current restrictions.
Lift Tickets, Rentals, Lessons
- Daily Lift Tickets, Ski & Snowboard Rentals, and Lessons will not be available for purchase on-site. All tickets, rentals, and lessons will only be available for purchase online only. A limited number of daily lift tickets will be available each day. All online tickets will be date specific, and you must use the lift ticket on the date that you select at the time of purchase. There will be no capacity restrictions for season pass holders or Labor Day Sale ticket vouchers. Lift tickets will go on sale during early/mid December. It is likely that for the first couple of weekends of the season that we will only be allowing pass holders and those who purchased Labor Day Sale ticket vouchers to ski and snowboard due to limited terrain availability. Once the resort adds more terrain, we plan to add more ticket availability.
- All rental packages (with the exception of High Performance rental packages) purchased online this season can be used on any day Welch Village is open during the 2020-2021 season. High Performance rental packages are date specific and must be used on the date that you select when purchasing.
- All indoor ticket windows will be closed, except for servicing certain products (TBD). We have installed brand new outdoor ticket windows on the slope side patio of the main chalet. There will also be an outdoor ticket window at Jaxx, which will service only season passes (will not service member guest tickets). To redeem your online ticket voucher, bring your paper ticket voucher or screen shot of your ticket voucher on your phone to our main chalet outdoor ticket windows, and our staff will issue your lift ticket. Please come prepared with your ticket voucher barcodes in hand (or screen shot on your smart phone), or you should expect significant delays in receiving your actual physical lift ticket.
- Rentals and lessons will have limited quantities available and will only be able to be purchased online, in advance.
Again, some GOOD NEWS! COVID-19 will enable us to use a more efficient system for season pass holders that should create more efficiency and safe pass holders time receiving their season pass cards and getting their lift ticket each visit. Season pass holders had the option to complete a simple 3 step process to receive their pass card in the mail, however, the deadline to complete the necessary steps to have your pass card mailed was October 18, 2020. If you did not complete these steps by the deadline, we STRONGLY recommend picking up your season pass card during a weekday when our office is open. If picking up on a weekend or over the holiday week, please expect significantly longer wait times (potentially outdoors) this season due to COVID-19 restrictions.
There will be no reservations required or capacity limits for season pass holders on any day during the 2020-2021 season. All pass holders will be able to present their pass cards at the new outdoor ticket windows at the main chalet or at the Jaxx outdoor ticket windows to obtain their physical daily lift ticket.
Food & Beverage - Take Out Only
- Limited offerings and more "take-out" style food and beverage options this season. Food service will only be available during limited hours this season.
- New outdoor food and drink windows at Jaxx! Stay tuned for more information.
- Unless there is a breathing concern, Ski Patrol will require that guests needed patrol care wear a mask or face covering.
- We are adding an additional portable building to allow for increased social distancing for patrol operations.
Ski Shop & Tuning Center
- Ski Shop and Tuning Shop are open for the season but have a max capacity of two people total at a time. - Get your Welch Village branded masks and gators now!
We are looking forward to the 2020-2021 season! Thank you for your patience and understanding while our team is working how to make this season safe and memorable for all. This situation is changing daily. Stay informed by watching our website regularly as well as our social media channels for the latest changes to our guidelines and protocols.